Sunday, March 28, 2010

Magnets and Movement Trays


Whilst playing with the Ogre Kingdoms army without Gnoblars I never saw the need for magnetised movement trays and miniatures.  However now the Warriors of Chaos have found their way on to the battlefield with ranked up units I need some magnetised movement trays.

So I turned to OG Games to purchase some Rare Earth Magnets, I got 100 for £10.00 at 10p each I think thats a bargin.  Next some sheets of A4 Magnetic Paper to stick onto the movement trays, at £1.40 per sheet another bargin.  I opted for the Games Workshop Modular Movement Trays as I have used these on my Ogres and found them to fit the job nicely, however you don't get enough corner pieces if you want a border on all four sides (cuts the number of movement tays in half).  Priced at £5.40 I could assemble the 8 movement trays I required.

First I assembled the movements trays.  The A4 Magnetic Paper was cut to size and stuck in place on the base of the movement tray.  The magetic paper was only 0.3mm think so doesn't raise the miniatures to high off the base of the movement tray.

Next I fixed the rare earth magnets to the base of the miniatures.  The magnet were just short of being flush with the base, so used some Milliput to fill in the gap.  A drop of super glue, onto which the Milliput was placed.  Then another drop of super glue onto the Milliput and the rare earth magnet was pushed into the Milliput on a flat surface.  This ensured that the magnet was flush with the bottom of the base.  The cavalry bases needed some of the plastic cut away to accomodate the magnet. 




While these were drying I applied PVA and sand to the borders of the movements trays.    Once dry I painted the borders.  I decided not to paint the magnetic sheet as it looks very similiar to Scorched Brown.  My painting technique for borders is..


Prime Chaos Black
A coat of Scorched Brown
Heavy dry brushing of Graveyard Earth
Light dry brushing of Bleached Bone

To complete a coat of gloss varnish Ard' Coat for protection, followed by a coat of Testors Dull Cote to dull it down again.  Static grass was applied in places.



At £18.20 to assembed thats only £2.27 per movement tray and the whole army is magnetised. Bargin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment